Cafeteria worker fired from school for giving food to child who couldn’t pay


In today’s world of rules and legislations even doing the ‘right thing’ can land you in trouble.

At least that was apparently the case for a New Hampshire school cafeteria worker who was fired for giving a student food even though he couldn’t pay for it.

The New Hampshire Union Leader claim that Bonnie Kimball, who worked in the Mascoma Valley Regional High School lunchroom, let the boy take $8 worth of food on March 28, telling him to inform his mom he needed money to pay it back.

Credit: Shutterstock

Kimball told the Valley News: “I quietly said, ‘Tell (your) mom you need money’”.

Despite the boy paying the tab the next day (March 29), Kimball was fired. The food vendor explained in a letter that the district manager witnessed Kimball violating their company’s “cash handling procedures, the school’s charge policy and federal regulation governing free meals.”

Kimball had worked for the company for five years, and told Valley News that she’d been following her direct supervisor’s orders to avoid causing a scene, as the company, named Cafe Services, was vying to have its contract with the school district renewed.

She claims she’d been told by her boss to give food to students who couldn’t pay, and then tell them they needed money on their accounts.

Kimball told the Union Leader: “We weren’t supposed to pull trays.”

Two of Kimball’s former coworkers resigned in protest, and students and staff at the school rallied around her in support.

As per PennLive, the president of Cafe Services later claimed the company would make an offer to rehire her, though Kimball declined the offer.

It’s certainly caused plenty of debate! What do you think? Was Kimball in the right or wrong? Let us know in the comments box below.

Share this article if you think Kimball should not have been fired for feeding a hungry child.


Join our list

Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.

Thank you for subscribing.

Something went wrong.